Saturday, October 3, 2009

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun, A Childhood Memory

Randy Seaver, over at Genea-Musings has another fun Saturday night challenge, here it is:

What is one of your most vivid childhood memories? Was it family, friends, places, events, or just plain fun?

OK, I am not sure I can come up with a MOST VIVID childhood memory. I certainly remember summer vacation trips to see both sets of my grandparents, one in the mountains, one at the ocean. I remember my cousin showing me all the hidden stairways and such in a house they lived in. That was kinda creepy!

I remember taking piano lessons, starting when I was about 8 years old. Took lessons from the same lady for about 10 years.

One of my most FOND memories of my youth was of marching band in high school, playing at the football games. Years later, too many to count, I could still hit 8 steps to 5 yards. I think I still could today!

So since I was having a bit of trouble with a most vivid childhood memory, I did what I almost always do for challenges. Went to the digital photo album. This photo represents two strong memories from my youth. One is the automobile, the other is that large bag of peanuts, that my father’s father sent us about 1960.  The peanuts were green, well that is the way I remember them, also remember I did not think they were very good.  Seems it was a 50 pound bag!  How can you possibly hope to eat all those before they spoil?  I have NO idea!


The car is a Metrolpolitan. I found this great advertisement for it online at Automobilemag.com.  And a great article about the car as well.

I was too young to drive the Metropolitan, darn it all.  I would love to give one of them the test drive.  I sometimes see one of these laying round in someone's yard, once I saw a guy that had a number of them.  Sadly, they were rusting away.

Actually, I do believe the peanuts and the Metropolitan are VIVID memories after all.


.

3 comments:

Mel said...

What great memories! That's certainly alot of peanuts!!!

Greta Koehl said...

Oh, yes, eight steps to five yards. And lift those knees. And I can still make a sharp turn...

Anne Percival Kruszka said...

B's parents owned one of those.