Friday, January 22, 2010

2009-10 Winter Tana Tour, Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo

Today Man and I took advantage of a bonus weather day and went to the zoo. The Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo.  Also known as the Little Zoo That Could, there is a short Wikipedia article here.  We found the zoo to be well kept.  It is a small collection, about 300 animals, however, the size did not disappoint.  We enjoyed the afternoon. 

Yep, I took lots of photos again. I don't have a count, just a lot. The required fencing presented some problems for photographing, the camera focused on the fence, leaving the animal out of focus, need to review the camera directions book, I guess. 

Here are a few of my favorites. I don't have the names of all of the animals.  First up,  an African Grey Crowned Crane.






I guess bears in Alabama don't have much of a chance to hibernate, so, they sun bathe instead?  Many of the larger animals were doing the same, it was almost as if they were saying, OK, we are tired of all this nasty weather too, AHHHH SUN!!


Lemur at play, they were quite playful and active, cute. Right.  Ya, until you hear them scream, what a blood curdling, extremely LOUD noise.  I actually thought they had amplifiers in the exhibit. I thought wrong. Amazing!








And, last, one of the most popular residents of the zoo, and resident who has been there the longest. This is Chuckie the Crocodile.  I noted how crafty he is, sunning his body, which is also cooled via
the stream running under his belly.  Chuckie escaped his exhibit during Hurricane Ivan, no, he did not escape the zoo.





Copyright 2010, CABS for Reflections From the Fence.
.

3 comments:

Alice Dilts said...

Thanks for sharing the photos!

Nita said...

Great photos, Carol! Don't they have the most precious faces!!!

Ron and Thelma said...

We are going to see theat while we are here. Love the animals. They are so cute. Couple of them looked like my neighbors