Thursday, January 7, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday, Lorena's Boarding House Boudoir Chair

Lorena Estelle Eley Norsworthy Dews Harlow Lenahan Collins,  my great-grandmother, was married 5 times, widowed 3 times.  She divorced one of the husbands.  One of the husbands sorta just disappeared from her life.  I talked about Lorena here.  After the death of her second husband, William Dews, who is my ancestor, she ran a boarding house for many years.  At least 2 of her daughter's met their future husbands when those young men were tenants in the boarding house.

I am lucky to own several pieces of furniture that belonged to Lorena and were used at the boarding house.  They came to me via my grandmother.

This is a boudoir chair, the current fabric covering is a very dark navy blue, a slip cover that I made.


Here is a photo of just the seat portion, in what may be the original fabric, or not.  There are several layers of covers.  I have no way to know if this bottom layer is actually the original.  Another of Lorena's daughters ran a drapery shop for many years, she may have covered and re-covered these chairs.


So many heirlooms and treasured family artifacts are put away and never used.  But, not this Treasure Chest item.  This chair is still used today in our bedroom at the stick built.


.

6 comments:

Anne Percival Kruszka said...

My parents met in a boarding house. I am so jealous of your heirlooms.

Carol said...

And, I dear cousin, am jealous of your letters! LOL

Gini said...

What a cute chair Carol, I love the fabric. It's great that you have such a wonderful treasure.

Linda Hughes Hiser said...

Hey girlfriend....my great grandmother also ran a boarding house or houses. Her daughters also met their husbands there....except for my grandmother...although he was living in town. Love the chair!

Linda Hughes Hiser said...

PS I'll bet that name, Lorena Estelle Eley Norsworthy Dews Harlow Lenahan Collins, plays havoc with your genealogy computer program... ;-)

Carol said...

Linda, RM (Rootsmagic) has no trouble with that name, maiden name Eley, the rest are hubbie's names. 5 marriages, 3 died, 1 divorced, 1 it is not known what she did with him! HAHA, My dad always said she must have fed 'em poisoned mushrooms. Then, he married 4 times and divorced 5. Don't cha LOVE family history??