Friday, May 21, 2010

Every Once in a While, They Fall Out of Somewhere

Yesterday afternoon, after a long cemetery stomp, lunch with friend Mary, and shopping, I came dragging in the house.  Catching up on my email I found a note from cousin Anne, referencing some records on the FamilySearch site.  I eventually went to see what she was talking about and ended up fussing with this and that, not really looking for anything in particular.  I'll fess up, it has been a few weeks since I have done any serious research, other matters have been taking preference.

For some reason in my fussing I did a search in the Kansas marriage data base, searched Lashbrook and found:

Henry O. Yeager, born 1867 married to Carrie Lashbrook born 1874, married April 4, 1890 in Fort Scott, Bourbon County, Kansas. (No image is available.)

Next I wandered over to Illinois records, marriages, deaths, births.  WHY??  Because I have this Carrie Lashbrook, born about 1875.  Her first hubby, has remained nameless on my data base for years.  By 1910 she is married to a Edward Sheehan.  So, after snooping around in these 3 data bases I find:
  1. Death in 1911 for a Charles E Yeager, parents listed as Henry Yeager and Carrie Lashbrook.  Ok, this is interesting, as Carrie and Edward Sheehan have a child Charles living with them on that 1910 census and my notes indicate that I felt this Charles was NOT a Sheehan child.  Per 1910 census: Charles [Sheehan] was 16 and born in Kansas. 
  2. Marriage for Edward Sheehan and Mrs. Carrie Yeager in 1905 in Cook County, Illinois.  Yep, this works for me too!  Can you see the genie happy dance starting??
  3. Death for Carrie Elizabeth Sheehan in Cook County Illinois in 1922 (a date I had been considering for quite a while and needed to verify with a document/image.  FamilySeach now has 1922 Cook County Illinois deaths online!  Now I am doing the full genie dance, or at least as full as I can muster up after all that cemetery stomping and shopping.
This is how the record is indexed (note, I have removed any fields that have no data in them):

Name: Carrie Elizabeth Sheehan
Death Date: 19 May 1922
Death Place: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
Gender: Female
Race (Original): w
Race (Standardized): White
Death Age: 48y 8m 21d
Birth Date: 26 Aug 1873
Birthplace: Harvey Illinois
Spouse: Edward Sheehan
Father: Moses Lash Wask
Father's Birthplace: England
Mother: Christina Lush
Mother's Birthplace: Nebraska
Occupation: housewife
Street Address: 214 w 43rd
Residence: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
Cemetery: Mt. Olivet
Burial Place: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
Burial Date: 20 May 1922
Film Number: 1378964
Digital Folder Number: 4005232
Image Number: 960
Reference Number: cn 13521
Collection: Illinois, Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922

Issues with indexed data: 
  1. Birthplace, Harvey Illinois, not bad, sorta close, she was born in Harvard Illinois, that is McHenry County.
  2. Father: Moses Lash Wask, OKKKKKK, her father is Moses Lashbrook, and he was not born in England, he was born in New York, but BOTH of his parents were born in England.
  3. Mother's Birthplace: Nebraska, nope, mother, Chestina, Christina, Tina (and several other spellings) was born in New York.  However, the family did live in Nebraska for a few years, Moses, Chestina and a houseful of kids.
Now, here is the document image (image was darkened by Moi, I felt I could read it better this way):



Several of my items of concern, are written the same as they are indexed, place of birth, does read Harvey.  However, I did find at least 2 other points to ponder, Moses Lash Wask, nope, make that Moses Lashbrook.  I am having trouble understanding how his name got indexed as Lash Wask.  The index shows death on May 19, and I see May 17.

No matter, I have been looking for Carrie for well over 10 years, I guess if you wait long enough, they fall out of somewhere - - -

Excuse me, I got a bit of genie dancing to do here. 


* (Discovered this AM in review that the death certificate informant for Charles Yeager was one Carrie Lashbook.)


Copyright 2010, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

.

3 comments:

Joan said...

Wow, after a full day of activities, you really did some good detective work.

Anne Percival Kruszka said...

Cool. Indexing - what a joke, eh?

Karen said...

That's great news, Carol! I love the sound of that brick wall as it crumbles to the ground!