Thursday, June 24, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday, Shadow Box


Man bought me this shadow box when we were first married, a great many moons ago.  It is an old frame hinged (on the top) onto a box with shelves.  It was made for us in Blissfield Michigan by a wonderful older couple (well, they were older then, probably about my age now, GULP!) who ran an antique store out of their home.  We painted the interior shelves white to show off the porcelin collection.  This shadow box has hung in every home we have lived in, with the exception of the two villas we inhabited in Morocco, the box stayed safely stored in Man's parent's home during that time.

Many items in the collection were given to me by my grandmother, Florence Ruth Dews Bowen.  I shared another such shadow box, also filled with the gifted minatures.

Several of the collectibles in this box on the second shelf from the bottom on the right side are actually salt and pepper shaker sets.  I have quite a few salt and pepper shaker sets from Florence.

In total I have 4 shadow boxes filled with these mini-treasures, treasures within a treasure.


Copyright 2010, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

.

2 comments:

Éire Historian said...

I love these little treasures! And, I hope some day you'll tell us more about your time in Morocco. Cheers! Jennifer

Michelle Goodrum said...

Fantastic! You have given me an idea. Mom collects owls of all shapes and sizes. I'm wondering if I might be able to put the smaller ones together in a shadow box for her. She is downsizing and consolidating and we hate to let her owl collection go.

Thank you for sharing!! You are brilliant!

PS. I too would love to hear about your time in Morocco.
Michelle