Monday, August 30, 2010

Monday's Moaning, Lost Marriage Certficiates

Copyright 2010, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

Man and I discovered a little town near Fort Wayne that we knew nothing of, and seeing that it is in the heart of a small Amish community just 10 miles north of our campground, we just had to go visit.  Grabill, Allen County, Indiana.  In all the years we have been coming to Fort Wayne, we were unaware of this little jewel.

There are only a few stores, a great hardware, a new grocery type store where they sell spices and all kinds of goodies in small containers at bulk food prices.  There are also two Sauder stores, one of which is the General Mechandiser.  I have a few photos today over at Reflection's Flora and Fauna showing their Candy, Coffee and Checkers.  The other store is Sauder's Furniture (est. 1907).  The store is now all about antiques (well almost), a number of vendors rent floor space and place their wares to be sold.  You can buy a Vera Bradley product there, that is the "almost" part of the store.

They had some great stuff.  I found a sewing cabinet exactly like mine, which I inherited from my great aunt Sarah.  Here is mine, they had the one there priced to sell at $95.00.  The ends (under those two gold lamps) lift, for deep storage.  One of the drawers has a little sliding type of tray to hold small sewing items, like needles, thimbles, etc.

I found some old cradles, lots of jewelry and what always saddens a family researcher, old photos, someone's great great grandparents.  Some large, fully framed photos, some smaller.  I would love to save them all, but, finances and space do not permit. 

I did not feel that I could stand there and photograph all of them, I am pretty sure that would have upset the owner and the vendors.  My ethics just would not stretch that far.  Besides, most have no names, no way to identify the people, so, sadly, why bother?  SIGHHH

However, that said, ethics sorta took a hit when I found two marriage certificates, one dated 1909 and the other 1915.  I whipped that ole Sony out and took photos! 

So, what is the purpose of this Monday Moaning??  I would love to find someone who is related to these happy couples, and reunite them with their ancestors.  No, I did not purchase them, again, finances and space just do not permit.  Of course, I have NO idea how long these marriage certificates may stay unsold.

So, here's the deal, I will NOT post the photos, again, due to ethics, but, I am going to tell you WHO the happy couples were.  If you recognize any of these names, contact me, find my email addy here on the blog and write me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Charles F. Pence of Converse, Indiana and Louella A. Wright of Converse, Indiana were married on September 7, 1909.

Charles H. Rodenbeck of Fort Wayne, Indiana and Ardelia E. Schultz, also of Fort Wayne, Indiana, were married on December 1st of 1915.  Charles and Ardelia were married in Fort Wayne.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you know anyone who might be interested in these names, in this area, please let them know about this post.  Thank you.

OK, Monday's Moaning is over.  Man and I enjoyed our visit to Grabill, and we will go back again, next time we are here in the Fort Wayne area. 


.

7 comments:

Karen K said...

Interesting that your post title for today over on Anne's blog is Tombstone Tuesday... See her sidebar...

Karen K said...

Oops, make that my blog and my sidebar. It says Tombstone Tuesday, Maple Shade Cemetery.... Sorry about reposting.

Carol said...

I know, I messed up on the publication date, so took it down, but, it will stay Tuesday on your side bar, and will not revert to show Monday only, a little glitch I suppose.

It is NOT your eyes, it was my state of tired when I posted it last night, late. SIGHHH. Maple Shade should show up tomorrow, as I meant it to. LOL I hope.

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

I hope the marriage certificates can be reunited with descendants.

Karen K said...

Okay, just wanted to make sure you were aware that it had the glitch. Glad it was not my eyes... my eye appointment is not until October...

Barbara Poole said...

Oh, I hope somebody contacts you or goes / contacts that store. You were walking through a museum of sorts. What fun. Very interesting and unusual type of post. Loved it.

Sherry - Family Tree Writer said...

Wish I had been a mouse in your pocket for that Amish community trip! About an hour and a half from where I live in Kansas, near Hutchinson there is a little town named Yoder, and you can see horse and buggies and the hardware store is like stepping back in time, except the stuff is NEW. And should you and Man ever travel through Yoder, be sure and stop at the bakery. The cinnamon rolls are to die for...