Friday, November 26, 2010

THE Trip, Joplin, Jasper County, Missouri and Surprises

Copyright 2010, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

When we left St. Louis, Missouri, we headed south and west some more, using I 44 as our route, all expressway driving.  It was the day after a nasty storm, and Momma Nature was resting, so we had bright skies and light tail winds, Big Butt ate up the hills, Man had a blast driving and all in all we had a great travel day.

Seeing hills cut away for the highway is always interesting for us,
we live in pretty flat countryside at the stickbuilt. 
Besides, I need more practice on this photo at 6o MPH stuff!
 
We had chosen Joplin, Jasper County, Missouri as our  next stop, about 260-ish miles, we arrived about 3 p.m. at our campground.
 
While Man and I were choosing a stopping place/campground, I realized that my great great Grandfather Zachariah Z. Trumbo died and is buried here in Jasper County.  I never ever thought of actually being able to visit his gravesite.  OK, bonus family research opportunity.
 
On the drive over from St. Louis, I also discovered about the same time as several of our MOC friends (via Facebook) informed me that I just had to stop and see the Precious Moments Chapel near Carthage, Missouri.  More on that later.
 
Just before arriving at the campground we discovered another little delight, the George Washington Carver National Monument was just a few miles away.  OK, I should be doing a better job of discovering these little jewels BEFORE we hit the road, but, I have to say, an unexpected discovery like this quickly becomes a delightful and memorable gift.

So, Man and I quickly unhooked Tana, and did little else, taking off to find and discover the National Monument, which we did.  Our route in was a 2 lane country road with several "narrow" bridges and rolling hills that also delighted.  Simple pleasures to be appreciated.
 
We arrived at the park about 1 hour before the gates closed, so we opted to walk the gardens, to see the site of his birth cabin, the streams, bronze statues, the Moses Carver home, and the family cemetery (George is NOT buried here.)  We walked the paths quickly getting some much needed and much appreciated exercise after a long day in Big Butt.
  
I am sorry, I neglected to get the name of the artist.
This bronze sculpture was near the Visitors Center.
It had a recording of "Equipment", as read by Dr. Carver
in 1942, not long before his death.

I leave you with these words from George Washington Carver, as taken in part from a National Park Service brochure:

In 1922, George Washington Carver penned a thank you note to one of his students who had given him a fountain pen as a Christmas present. In the note, Carver offered hope “that each of you will rise to the full height of your possibilities” and suggesting these eight cardinal virtues would help them do just that.

"Mr. L. Robinson

I wish to express to each member of the Senior class my deep appreciation for the fountain pen you so thoughtfully gave me.

This gift is characterized by simplicity and thoughtfulness, which I hope each of you will make the slogan of your lives.

I hope that each of you will rise to the full height of your possibilities, which means the possession of these eight cardinal virtues which constitutes a lady or a gentleman.

1st. Be clean both inside and outside.

2nd. Who neither looks up to the rich or down on the poor.

3rd. Who loses, if needs be, without squealing.

4th. Who wins without bragging.

5th. Who is always considerate of women, children and old people.

6th. Who is too brave to lie.

7th. Who is too generous to cheat.

8th. Who takes his share of the world and lets other people have theirs.

May God help you to carry out these eight cardinal virtues and peace and prosperity be yours through life.

Lovingly yours,

G. W. Carver


*I'll share with you our visit to the Precious Moments Chapel and Zach's research and grave in the next several posts.

.

2 comments:

Susan Clark said...

Lovely. Perfect words for today. I'm a BIG fan of your strategy of going where the will moves you. Such a luxury.

Greta Koehl said...

I have been a huge fan of George Washington Carver ever since I wrote a book report on a biography of him in grade school. This is one of the things I'll have to take in whenever we make it out that way.