Thursday, March 24, 2011

THE Trip, Treasure Chest Thursday, RV Style - 1930-31 Ford Model A House Car

Copyright 2011, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

While visiting Johnny Cloud's Museum, we found tucked into a building, this 1930-31 Ford Model A House Car.  Johnny told us his father had actually purchased it from his mother's school teacher.  Seems the school teacher and spouse built this and used it to live in while they were building a home in Parker Arizona.  Boondocking??  Well, they had all the conveniences, let's start on the inside (noting I did NOT climb inside, I leaned in as far as I could safely and did the best I could while trying to balance myself and get the photos.)

Storage cabinets over the driver and passenger seats.
Also note, what is believed to be a roof vent.
This one is hard to figure out because of angles, etc.
Forward almost white colored cabinets, believed to be sink.
In back left, dark colored, dresser drawers and in
very back, ends of two bunks.
Left, sink and dresser drawers.
Back:  Two sleeping bunks, over head
lighting, square on roof is vent.
Right:  stove.
Right:  Driver's seat, steering wheel.
Left:  Refrigeration.  (Drawer on top?
Have no idea, probably not part of OEM
Original Equipment Manufacturer)
Furnished Apartment For Rent - Johnny has a dark
sense of humor, eh??
The bottle under the sign is the fresh water tank.
Talk about needing to conserve.  WOW!!
In all it's beauty!
Bottle on right is propane for cooking
and heat, possibly refrigeration.
Wouldn't you just love to see this restored??  And, isn't the front awning over the windows awesome?

The early motorhome - - history buffs and RVing buffs, enjoy this little trip to the past.



*Want to see more early motor homes??  Try a surfing trip over to Old Woodies.

.

8 comments:

Becky Wiseman said...

Very Cool! Love it.

Nita said...

We went there and saw that too! But, I have yet to post about that place on my blog. Al especially, loved it there! I am now getting an even better view of this early camper from your post! Thank Carol!

Barbara Poole said...

I like it, it has character. Thanks Carol.

Susan Clark said...

Fabulous! Really sparks the imagination.

Joan said...

Never thought I'd turn in to an RVer -- even vicariously --- but you have shown me the fun, whimsey, history, and the unexpected. Thanks!

Greta Koehl said...

A thing of beauty. That's the kind of home I dreamed of living in when I was a kid.

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Love it! That awning is really the finishing touch.

Anonymous said...

It's just a very early version of Tana - before she was "Carolled". I love all your space-saving advice as I live in a rather compact house :-) Jo