Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Salt Lake City, Here I Come, Ready or Not, And I Am Not

Copyright 2011, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

Well we are in Salt Lake City, the genie research mecca. And despite my best intentions, I am not ready. Hear me sigh.

Friend and cousin Karen, of Genealogy Frame Of Mind, would be, and probably IS aghast. She is ALWAYS ready for research trips, very organized that one.

I used to be ready for my research trips too. Not sure how that changed, but I can remember a trip to Iowa and Minnesota a few years back that I only had a few days of prep time, and some of those days were spent packing Tana. Despite so little time I came up with a plan and I felt it was a very successful trip.

These days, after a number of years of trying to plan and control my life I now realize the fruitlessness of those attempts, since I am not in control, my Maker is. Man and I tend to live day by day, even moment by moment. We live by the words, "our plans are written in dust", we do change our plans on the spur of the moment. It took me years to roll with the changes, and truthfully, some days I do better than others. But for the most part, I now accept that planning is for others, LOL, and I live moment to moment.

So, ready or not Salt Lake City, I am here. Research on!



*Source information on graphic long lost to this blogger, my apologies to the artist.

**THE Trip travel reports will continue as I have time to post them, I am SOOOO far behind, SIGHHH, must mean I have been busy, and tee hee, having fun!

8 comments:

Barbara Poole said...

So glad you "landed" there. Not ready? Can't be you, haha. Anyway, can't wait to hear all about it. Enjoy, and may you have great weather.

Carol said...

Pray hard on that weather issue Barbara, rather rough drive in, rain, long, did I say L-O-N-G, construction zone, we are basically downtown SLC, more construction right in front of the park, it was stressful, no sense fibbing bout it! We are whooped from the last several weeks of National Parks, they are fab, but exhausting! LOL

Now, where is my printer and let there be a to do list, at least someplace to start! LOL

Susan Clark said...

Exciting! I do hope you are at a spot where you can stay put for a time. Don't worry about us, your faithful readers. We'll be here whenever you need a diversion. Dig into those files and have a blast!

Carol said...

Yep Susan, we can stay for a month. (Don't shoot me, we are worn out, the laundry is piled up, we have no groceries to speak of, we have many errands to do.) Time at Bryce was unreal, but, we came out a little beat up! Course, we are not complaining, what a way to be bruised! LOL

PalmsRV said...

I'm a big fan of researching through deeds. Perhaps you can look through the grantor/grantee indexes for counties that you might not visit in the near future. Once you find a deed you want, the corresponding film should be accessible and you won't have to order a roll of film if there's only one item (deed or will) on it. Just pondering what I would do if (when?) I get to spend a month in SLC!

Éire Historian said...

Very Exciting! Rest and relax, then RESEARCH, and ENJOY!! Hope you find lots of good stuff. As Susan said, we'll be waiting to hear all about it.

Cheers!
Jennifer

FranE said...

Awesome, of course I am jealous, but so glad you are having the opportunity. Go Girl waiting to hear some whoops!

Karen said...

Good to do lists always make me look more organized than I really am!
Thanks for the mention though! Lol

Enjoy SLC I know how long you've waited to get there!

Karen