Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Grand Canyon Pioneer Cemetery, Tombstone Tuesday

Copyright 2011, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

Located in Grand Canyon Village on the south rim of the Grand Canyon in Grand Canyon National Park is the Grand Canyon Pioneer Cemetery.  I was rather surprised at the size and number of burials at the cemetery.  There is a Find A Grave entry for the cemetery with 298 interments noted.


I did not have the time nor the storage space on my Sony to photograph all the stones, but, I did wander around a bit, touched beyond words at the spirit of the men and women buried here and the inscriptions.  I will just let the stones speak for themselves, and they DO have stories to tell, stories of the park and the wonderful men and women that love it so.

Below, the Harvey Girl and her Trail Blazing Phone Man.  They fell in love at the Grand Canyon.


Lost in an airplane accident 1956.


Superintendent of the Park.


Photographer, explorer, author:


23 Years Service in this Park


Lost, a Havasupai cowboy.






* I will run another post on this cemetery, on a future Tombstone Tuesdays.
.

8 comments:

Joan said...

Touching!

Lisa Wallen Logsdon said...

Very, very cool...(sorry, I know you are hot)..loved these tombstones..so interesting!

Barbara Poole said...

Perfect for Tombstone Tuesday. Imagine being buried there, pretty nice.

FranE said...

I love these. How wonderful they noted those lost in a plane accident.
Agree with the others perfect Tombstone Tuesday.

Michelle Goodrum said...

Fascinating and yet another reason to return to the Grand Canyon.

Éire Historian said...

Beautiful, and very interesting. What a wonderful place to be laid to rest.

Debbie Blanton McCoy said...

I have never heard about this cemetery before. What a wonderful way to honor those who gave service to the park. Thanks for sharing!

Cheri Hopkins aka You Go Genealogy Girl #2 said...

Carol, these were great cemetery photos, just the kind that I love to see and visit when I can too. Wish I had been there, as we have visited this one.
Thanks again for sharing...and by the way, the "dude" and "dudette" way down at the bottom- great pic!