Monday, July 11, 2011

THE Trip, THE GRAND Canyon, Day 2

Copyright 2011, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

Today at the South Rim of the Canyon is bus day.  We will investigate the western end of the park riding the bus all the way out to  Hermit's Rest.  We drove into the park, took a bit of a wrong turn, ended up at the Market Place where we snagged a GREAT parking spot.  Managed to figure out where to get on one of the Blue buses that would take us to the area of the Bright Angel Trailhead where you get on the Red buses that travel from there to Hermit's Rest.  Because it is Easter week and Free week we wait about 40 minutes, 4 buses before us load up and take the other eager visitors out towards Hermit's Rest.  Lots of families, lots of foreign visitors, from France, Germany, England, Italy, and others I cannot remember, or could not tag the language.  We met a lot of very interesting people standing in lines and on the buses, all with interesting stories.  One could ride the buses all day and hear some fantastic life stories.

Not a bad lunch site, eh???
And, then, we were off.  We had our lunch, water, hats, Sony, and as much time as it would take, it would take us the most of the day.  I took close to 250 photos.  Every stop a new and wonderful view, in fact, every few feet you could see something different, different angle, all as beautiful as could be.


We got off at each and every bus stop.  At the Hermit's Rest we had coffee.  Tired, and totally overwhelmed at the sights we jumped (more like drug ourselves) back on the Red Bus, transferred to the Blue Bus, found Big Butt and headed back to Tana and the fur kids.  After a short rest, but still too tired to be interested in cooking anything, we wandered over to MickeyDees for dinner, it is said this is the most expensive MD's in the country.  Well, I can say I ate there, at the most expensive MD's.  (Is that something to brag about or moan about??  LOL)

Of the 250 photos I found almost 50 that I wanted to share.  I know, I know, I hear the painful sighs from ya all!   LOL  So, I have 2 slide shows, with about 22 photos in each, come on back tomorrow for the "rest of the story".  And, now, today's slide show:







*  Our second day in the Grand Canyon was April 20, 2011
.

6 comments:

Éire Historian said...

Carol,

You'll only hear sighs of glee from me. Extraordinary, Breathtaking! I'm going to have to invent a new word to describe these images. I am especially struck by the layers of colours, the striation of the rock, and the way the vegetation appears to be clinging on to the very edge for dear life.

Your shots give us a bird-like view. I'm flying :) Thank you for sharing them. I'll be back tomorrow for more.

Cheers to you,
Jennifer

Lisa Wallen Logsdon said...

I agree with Jennifer...I need some new "ooohh and aaahh" words. Don't want to be redundant ya know!

Barbara Poole said...

Cool beans. Special blog for sure Carol. Enjoyed it very much. Al looks like he belongs there.

Becky Wiseman said...

Great pics, Carol. Mother Nature sure gave you a beautiful day.

Linda McCauley said...

Incredible. You will never hear me complain about too many pictures.

Susan Clark said...

This is so worth coming up to the surface to see! Agree with all the above.