Monday, August 22, 2011

THE Trip, Driving the La Sal Mountain Loop, The Beginning (128)

CABS for Reflections From the Fence

On the recommendation of MOC friends, including Steve and Vicki, and the Moab Information Center, Man and I decided to spend a day driving what is called the La Sal Mountain Loop.  You can see a great map of this trip on this web page.  The brochure the Information Center gave us states that this is a 4 hour round trip, generally open from May through October.  We drove it on May 2nd, and yepper, there was still snow up there!

But, first lets have a look at the spectacular scenery on 128, which is north of Moab east off of 191.  Much of this stretch of road runs along the Colorado River with towering walls of stunning red rock.  This is part of the Colorado Riverway Recreation Area, there are small campgrounds tucked in along the river.  There are hikes

So, I invite you to sit back, let Man do the driving, and enjoy the slide show!



Next we will climb up the mountain roads, and find a very special place to have lunch.


.

4 comments:

Susan Clark said...

I loved this road. At times it seemed there wasn't enough room for it and the Colorado river as both snaked through the rocks. A bit worrisome because I'm pretty clear which would win in a head to head contest!

Lisa Wallen Logsdon said...

Oooh-whee! Spectacular!

Jasia said...

I don't comment on your blog every day but I should. Your pictures are stunning, day after day. What a wonderful trip you took and it's so kind of you to share it with us. Thank you, my friend, for all your efforts!

Kathy Reed said...

I agree. I don't always comment on your photos, but these, as usual, are incredible!