Saturday, October 8, 2011

SNGF - - Data Base Statistics

CABS for Reflections From the Fence

Randy has a fun and very easy challenge tonight at Saturday Night Genealogy Fun, that being:

Hey genea-philes - it's Saturday Night! Time for more Genealogy Fun!


Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:


1) If you have your family tree research in a Genealogy Management Program (GMP), whether a computer software program or an online family tree, figure out how to find how many persons, places, sources, etc. are in your database (hint: the Help button is your friend!).


2) Tell us which GMP you use, and how many persons, places, sources, etc. are in your database(s) today in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this blog post, or in a Facebook status or Google+ stream comment.

I am currently using RootsMagic 4.    Here is a screen shot of my numbers, found via File, Properties.


Considering that I have done almost NOTHING to my data base in months, in fact in well over a year, I am still pretty pleased with the number of multimedia items, as one of my long term goals is to have SOME kind of photo for everyone on the data base.

I am also rather pleased with my individual to events ratio and my events to citations ratio.

Fun one Randy, thanks!

4 comments:

Barbara Poole said...

Carol, I'm glad you did yours as well. You use your To-Do list, good habit, and I see you put in addresses, which I've been neglecting. Maybe you could give me instruction on how to copy the report to the blog, as you saw, I had a heck of a time (perhaps email me). Thanks.

Ginger Smith said...

Hi Carol, wow, I can't believe you have over 8000 multimedia items! That's awesome! I haven't started adding multimedia to my gen database probably because I knew how much it slowed down the FTM I was using before. Does it slow down your RM at all or make it harder to open RM on the go?

Carol said...

Barb, used screen shot and photo editing program. Ginger, I can't say that I notice any slow down, except possibly for individuals that have a large number of photos. I do not use RM on the go, so cannot address that. Any slow down is well worth dealing with, telling a person's story/history via photos, sound bytes, video clips, etc., is my goal, and is part and parcel of my approach to family history.

Janice said...

Hi Carol, I too use RM 4 and love it. I have two databases because my mom has issues with my natural father. Here is the info from his only:

People 2941
Families 1010
Events 5456
Alt Names 57
Places 825
Sources 257
Citations 2304
To Do 2
Multi Media 6
Multi Links 1
Addresses 18

Most of my photos are online at Wordpress. I felt if the computer died or a tornado, etc. at least the photos would still be there.

Wanted to say "Thanks" for the prayers for my neighbor and know you will find some use for the clip art. Have a great week!