Monday, April 23, 2012

Caching Our Way North

Copyright 2012, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

As we work our way north towards the stick built, we are doing a bit of caching.  Part of the fun is to collect little state digital emblems.  Every time you find a cache in a state you have not found one in prior, you get a little emblem.  Since we have no idea when we will be back this way, we have attempted to collect a cache in the states we are traveling through.  We report:

Below:  St. Augustine Florida, very well hidden below a live oak and surrounding brush/weeds:


In the general vicinity of Savannah Georgia, tricky, hidden inside a light pole, sorta:


Missed South and North Carolina, sighing.

Below, near Timberville Virginia, a kids hide, as we are still newbies to the sport, kids hides are good practice, this one the GPS directed us across the street, but, I spied it with the hints available on the web site:


Below, in Broadway Virginia, ground zero for my family heritage:


We need to get a handheld GPS meant for this sport.  WHOOPEEE, more techy toys!  Also need to make up a small hunting kit, pencils, maybe a pair of tweezers for the petite mini caches, maybe some gloves, and for many, as taught to us by friends John and Donna, a walking stick to scare off the snakes and move the foliage around!  LOL




.

2 comments:

Joan said...

I had no idea of such a sport! Guess I am way out of touch and techy.

Lynne Carothers said...

I sooooooo want to start geocaching! I can't seem to talk dear Walt into it, though. He just doesn't see the point. THE POINT?!?!?!? Because it is there!

I have a handheld gps bought for another reason. I just think it is very prudent of me to have techy toys that can be used for more than one purpose. Must be frugal, don't ya know. Silly Walt.

So, he will be away for most of the summer and I am going to see if I can find a geocaching group to join. I'll show him by cracky! I'll leave him in my dust, I will!