Saturday, April 7, 2012

One Photo, Four Words, Just May Be The Answer

Copyright 2012, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

This building is located at 3105 Bull Street, Savannah, Georgia.  This is the address given as where my great-grandfather, Joseph Eugene Bowen, died.  I had been under the impression that it was a nursing home, now I wonder.


Another view, looking into the sun, some glare here:


Letting Sony zoom to that round section just about the columns, here is one of the words I discovered inscribed there:


This building was built about 1927 as the Central Georgia Railway Hospital.  It was closed in 1963.  My great-grandfather Joseph died there in 1948.  Yes, he worked for the railroad (which railroad is unknown) for a number of years.  His occupation on both the 1910 and 1920 census reports was section boss for railroad (or similar description).

NOW it all makes sense.  Why he was in Savannah when he had been living in Norfolk Virginia for many years, including the 1930 and 1940 census enumerations.  I suspect he was at the hospital because he had some kind of insurance and when he took ill, that is where he had to go for care.

My my.

Four words, inscribed for eternity, or until I discovered them.  During a prior visit about 10 years ago, I did not stop, nor take a photo.  This trip, we almost did not drive by, but, something made me insist.

My my.

Four words, and I feel closure.



.

11 comments:

Karen said...

Wow. Don't know what else to say - I'm glad you stopped and paid attention to detail, and now you have the answer. Great post, Carol.

Lynne Carothers said...

Great post, Carol. It shows how easily we can miss a detail that might just answer our questions. I will try to learn from your experience. We are taking WhlEst8 to TN next week to spend two weeks exploring the area that Walt's family is from. Can't wait. I will try very hard to look for those "four words" along the way.

PalmsRV said...

Great reminder about paying attention to details. Good catch!

Barbara Poole said...

That's a really good closure story. So glad you stopped 10 years later! Photos of the hospital were beautiful, gotta love the Spanish Moss too.

Kristin said...

Your grandfather is glad you finally stopped! Great find.

Éire Historian said...

Such a great story. You were meant to stop, and what a great discovery just waiting there for you.

Carol said...

Stay tuned, scheduled for tomorrow AM, the rest of the story.

More verbose, but, needed to record for my kids and grandkids, on how close we came to NOT stopping.

Susan said...

So glad you found the missing clue to your grandfather's puzzle, Carol! Thanks for sharing!

Michelle Goodrum said...

I've got goosebumps. I'm glad you stopped and can't wait to hear the rest of the story.

Remembering to look for those "four words" from now on...

Greta Koehl said...

Wow, this gave me goosebumps - thrilled for you, and also the shock of recognizing this kind of moment - how close I have come to NOT finding things because it never occurred to me that "insignificant" details, documents, things, places may hold critical clues.

Joan said...

Don't you just love those little still voices deep inside that guide you where you need to go --- if we are listening. Glad you were listening.