Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A Reflective Day for Reflections

Copyright 2012, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

Man and I are in Rockingham County Virginia, home of my families for generations.  I can trace my lines back to at least 1800 (even a bit before).  I spent many summers here as a child, visited here many times as a young married gal with babies of her own.  Rockingham has always had an emotional hold on me.

We arrived yesterday, tired, and decided to just sit in the campground, rest, and rest some more.

Today it rained, all day, no deluges, just a steady rain.  Early afternoon, we headed out.  The mist and the rain suited our pensive moods.

Rockingham is truly beautiful, rolling hills, farms, old homes and new.  It is even beautiful in the rain, you can see a rain drop on Jolly's windshield, or maybe that is a tear - -


My daddy always said, nothing stays the same.  He was so right.  The Broadway Diner is closed.  They even closed a section of road, permanently, near where a number of my clan are buried and where my great-grandfather, Charles Trumbo, grew up.  Babies are born, our elders pass.  One of the reasons Man and I are so pensive and reflective is because this is our first visit back after cousin Nancy Trumbo Bodkin died, unexpectedly and much to soon.  Nancy was a spit fire, a wild woman, a giving woman, a great cook, a dear dear friend. Nancy was my partner in crime during the search for the ole Charles Trumbo house.  I wrote about it here and here.  Seriously, if you have not read those posts, you should.  Yea, Nancy was always getting me in trouble.

So, today in the rain Man and I drove to the cemetery to say "Hi" to Nancy and tell her how much we miss her.  The rain helped cover our tears.  Rockingham will never be the same.




.

5 comments:

Barbara Poole said...

I can understand the hold Rockingham Co. has on you, goodness, that's where you're from. It will always feel like Welcome to you. Carol, your photo of the barn is extra special, great effect from the rain. I remember your Trumbo story, good conclusion with cemetery visit to see Nancy.

Lisa Wallen Logsdon said...

Ah, now that's a place I'd like to visit. What a peaceful photo. Steady rain is nice sometimes. Great for reflecting, eh? Sorry for the too early loss of your cousin Carol. Just think of her as being there with you, still enjoying the adventure.

Debbie Blanton McCoy said...

Such a beautiful place! Sorry for the loss of your cousin.

LindaRe said...

That is a beautiful bouquet of flowers for Nancy.

Sherry - Family Tree Writer said...

Beautiful photographs, Carol, put me in a pensive mood as well. I love the one of the barn.

I am so sorry for the loss of your cousin, and agree with Lisa Wallen Logsdon, "Just think of her as being there with you, still enjoying the adventure."

I feel sure she is.