Tuesday, January 29, 2013

THE Trip, THE Encore' :: Titan Missile Museum

Copyright 2013, CABS for Reflections From the Fence


December 28, 2012, Titan Missile Museum, near Sahuarita, Arizona.


Ok, folks, here is the deal.  I wanted to go, I wanted to see, I did not understand 90% of it, but, it was sooooooooooo cool!  LOL  No techy talk here, just a few photos for you to see.  So, go to the web site, read, and maybe you will understand what I did not.  But, it was sooooooooooo cool!

This is one way to get underground.


Some of the youngsters may not know what this is.  A ancestor of your cell phone, that's what!  With wires to keep it in place, not much portability here.  Connectivity, yes, portability, nope, not much.


BUTTONS!


KEYS!


From the bottom looking up, what those keys and buttons could have sent skyward, wracking widespread powerful damage.


And, from the top looking down.


This is the only Titan Missile site left intact.  54 Titan II missile sites were on alert across the United States from 1963 to 1987.  The other 53 were dismantled and destroyed.

If you ever happen to be in the Tucson area, you should drive about 25 miles south of town on 19 and visit.  Even if you do not understand it, it is sooooooooooo cool!  





* At the end of this post I wanted to say, BOOM!, But, I did not have the nerve!  Cannot be scaring off my readers!
.

3 comments:

Marti said...

How cool! Does that missile have a dent in the nose? When I hear about North Korea, sometimes I think we need to put those other missiles back.

Carol said...

Marti, I believe you are correct, it looks dented to me!

Michelle Goodrum said...

Yeah!!!! You went. Cool yes Beyond cool!