Thursday, January 23, 2014

"Hobbies and Collections"

Copyright 2014, CABS for Reflections From the Fence



This blog post  is part of my participation in a weekly writing meme called, "The Book of Me, Written By You"  You too can be part of this experiment/experience, there is information at this Facebook page.

I may or may not publicly share what I write each week. This week I share.

The prompt for week 21 - Hobbies

Childhood hobbies & collections
Did you share a "passion" with a family member or friend?
Tell us about it - How, why, where
Do you still have any old hobbies - the ones that have been with you since childhood?
Do you still have those childhood collections?

Hobbies??  I honestly do not remember any hobbies from my childhood years.

I do have a collection that has survived, my grandmother Florence Dews Bowen collected these miniatures for me.  I do treasure them.


As a child I participated in Brownies and then Girl Scouts, yes, I sold cookies door to door.  I think that I may have my badges back at the stick built, tucked away, not photographed.  (Must add to the to do list!)

As a child I took piano lessons, 10 years worth.  Have an organ at the stick built, but rarely play it these days.

As a child I learned to knit.  I can still knit, barely, just run of the mill, ugly, ugly scarfs.  I don't knit much, ok, these days, NEVER knit.  I do crochet some.  I did not learn crochet till I was a  young bride with a baby on my hip.

I probably dabbled in hobbies such as stamp collecting, maybe coins.  Obviously, none of them were enthralling enough to keep me connected.


For years I have indulged in craft projects of all sorts.  Cross stitch, sewing, dried flower arrangements, some porcelain painting of holiday items.  Too many to mention.  I even had a craft room once (one of the boys moved out, and I took over the room.)

The hobbies I currently engage in, computers/technology, cameras/photography, family research, RVing, all came to me as an adult.  I am embracing them with a vengeance now, and now I have blogging to share them all.


.

2 comments:

FranE said...

Wonderful treasures you have pictured there. My problem is as I have turned my genealogy research into a full time volunteer job, my other hobbies ie sewing have suffered greatly. Glad you shared this one.

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

I love your idea about photographing your Girl Scout badges. I think I will do the same and post them on my blog for Thinking Day (Feb. 22nd) Do you remember Thinking Day? I have my sash, and my daughter's sash, tucked away in my hope chest.