Saturday, February 22, 2014

World Thinking Day 2014, My Girl Scout Career

Copyright 2014, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

Heather Wilkinson Rojo, of Nutfield Genealogy, has offered up a challenge for today.

"This weekend is Thinking Day! Let's have everyone who was ever a Girl Scout, Boy Scout, Girl Guide or involved anyway in scouting post your memories on Facebook, and post links to your blog stories about scouting! I'll do a roll up of all the blog contributions at the end of the weekend..."

So, here I go.

I was a Brownie and a Girl Scout.  I'll fess up that my specific memories have faded, but, I remember day camp as a Brownie, and sleep over camp as a Girl Scout.  Campfires. Hiking. Learning to cook one dish meals wrapped in tin foil.  Backpacks toting our days supplies into the camp. Learning to swim in the lake (many times in SE Michigan that meant - - brrrrr).  Canoeing lessons.  Large rustic cabins with bunk beds.  Communal dining areas. Some-mores melty, gooie, cooked over the campfire.  Singing Kumbaya around the campfire.

You remember, don't you:

Kum ba yah, my lord, Kum ba yah! 
Kum ba yah, my lord, Kum ba yah! 
Kum ba yah, my lord, Kum ba yah. 
O Lord, Kum ba yah

Someone's crying, Lord, Kum ba yah!
Someone's crying, Lord, Kum ba yah!
Someone's crying, Lord, Kum ba yah! 
O Lord, Kum ba yah

Someone's singing, Lord, Kum ba yah!
Someone's singing, Lord, Kum ba yah!
Someone's singing, Lord, Kum ba yah! 
O Lord, Kum ba yah

Someone's praying, Lord, Kum ba yah!
Someone's praying, Lord, Kum ba yah!
Someone's praying, Lord, Kum ba yah! 
O Lord, Kum ba yah

I remember selling cookies, we could go door to door back then and it was safe.  So, I did.  The peanut butter patties were and still are my favorites.

Several of the girls were in Brownies and Girl Scouts together, one I know has passed (she died so young), the other I lost all contact with.

And, then there is the photo, I know you hear the groans of agony.  Gracious, what a hair do.  UGH.  Oh, and the braces too.  SIGH. But, there I am, Troop 265 even.  And, there is a reasonable collection of badges.  (Gracious, I remember sewing badges and patches on the son's Cub Scout uniforms. Now, there is a blast from the memory past!)  






.

2 comments:

Éire Historian said...

Wonderful! I desperately wanted to be a Brownie and then Girl Scout when I was a girl, but my mother wouldn't allow it. I was never given a reason, just NO. It seemed like such a wonderful adventure, and an opportunity to learn so much. I love the photo, with all those badges on your banner, you look wonderful!

FranE said...

Fun memories, that I hope my children have. I know my boys loved Boy Scouts, but don't remember the girls.