Sunday, June 29, 2014

Sunday's Stories, 52 Ancestor Weeks, Week # 26, Donald Eugene Bowen II

Copyright 2014, CABS for Reflections From the Fence


This is week 26 of my participation Amy Johnson Crow's, once a week challenge to blog about one ancestor a week, tell their story, biography, a photograph, an outline of a research problem — anything that focuses on that one ancestor. More about the challenge can be found at her Blog, No Story Too Small.

On Friday afternoon, my brother, Don, was golfing and had a massive heart attack and passed.

Those who knew Don, will all agree, I believe, that it was a good way for Don to leave the earthly bonds, on a golf course, he so loved golf.


Don leaves a mother, a wife; a son; sister (moi); half-sister; many dear friends including his ex-wife, the mother of his son (they had the most remarkable relationship); nieces and nephews..

Five years ago, when Reflections was rather new, I wrote about my brother. Today, in his memory, one of the “better” stories, a fond memory.

Don't always trust your brother

Summer 1982, Man, Moi, 3 sons, my brother and Man's mother all pile in vehicle for 2 week vacation to see family in Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina. We decide to drive part of the Shenandoah National Park Skyline Drive. Brother reads brochure, finds a "short" hike to a spectacular view, decides we need exercise and convinces us to stop.

Eldest son, Man, Moi and Brother decide to take the hike, others refuse or are not allowed.

Brother leads. Brother, Man and Son #1 get a good bit ahead of Moi, all I hear are their peals of laughter. As I round the bend, all they hear are my moans and some choice words (not repeated here). I am wearing plastic shoes and find myself scaling rocks that are 10 to 20 feet tall.

Short hike, ya, maybe, short in distance, not short in time! Yes, the view at the top was pretty special.


Photo above, Moi and Son # 1 on the way down. Photo below, Brother, also on the way down. Miracle that day was that no one got hurt.


Rest in Peace Don.



* Additional source data can be obtained by contacting me, see the right hand column for a yahoo email address.

** 52 Ancestors Weeks Button courtesy of Amy Johnson Crow.

*** I use many resources to research, FamilySearch.org is a free site.  Ancestry.com is a pay site for which I pay, no discounts, etc.  Fold3 is a pay site for which I pay.  Find A Grave is a free site. None of these sites have asked me to review them, or use them.  See my Disclaimers page for further details.

.

3 comments:

Sherry - Family Tree Writer said...

What a great story! Reminds me of the time we were in Colorado and I said to hubby, here is a shortcut to our family reunion. We were pulling a trailer. We were on a road not built for pickups pulling a trailer. It took us hours longer, required hubby stopping to take off side mirrors off of truck to get across the bridge, and the road was aptly named the "Phantom Canyon Road"...

Family memories and family times are precious.

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Carol,
I am very saddened by your loss and offer my deepest sympathy. That he didn't suffer long was a blessing. Hang on to the good memories.
HUGS
Charlotte

Andrea Kelleher said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope that you are able to find some comfort in all the wonderful memories you have of your brother. Sending prayers for strength and peace your way.