Saturday, January 2, 2010

The New Do

Thanks to all my readers, friends and family who left such nice comments on my post, Hair Today, Locks Tomorrow.

Donating to Locks of Love is one of my "lemons to lemonade" activities.  Many years ago, I got a perm and coloring on my hair, and for the next 2 weeks had to nurse rod burns on my head, yea, icky.  I decided right then and there, no more perms, no more color.  My hair is fine, and once we moved to the "country", where the wind blows, I found that I could not stand the locks blowing around my face.  So, the pony became my do style of choice. 

I was busy, daily, the pony went in, days, weeks, months, and next thing I knew that pony was VERY long.  At that point, I needed a cut, and Locks of Love became the obvious (to me) choice.  So, they got their first donation from me.  I felt it was a win-win, I got shorter hair, they got a donation.

Since then, I have donated several more times, about every 2 to 3 years. 

I don't do this for recognition, I do it because it is a small way for me to give back, and a great way to take my lemons (hair that cannot be dyed or permed and resides in ponies) into lemonade (locks for wigs for those that are in great need).  I do it because I can.

I have started the "growing out" again, but, as short as it got cut this time, it will probably will take 2 1/2 years before I can donate again.  Stay tuned - -

In the meantime, here is the new do (some of you wanted to see, so here ya go).   Gesshhh, I had to go out and buy a new brush and a new curling iron to do the do.


Locks of Love requires a donation of at least 10 inches.  I believe it is a good cause and am lucky to have many friends who have also donated.  Congrats and thank you to all of them.


** 2019 update, I no longer donate to Locks of Love due to some misunderstandings and questionable press.  I now donate to Children With Hair Loss.  They can be found at Facebook and on YouTube.  They have an Amazon Smiles page connection, if you buy from Amazon and link via the page, a donation to Children With Hair loss will be made.
.

7 comments:

Nita said...

It looks lovely, Carol. I'm sure in a couple of months you will be back into the pony tail, but meantime this looks very nice indeed. I wish I had the patience to grow my hair. Three of my granddaughters have donated. It's a very worthy cause!

Anne Percival Kruszka said...

It's not as short as I thought! Looks good.

Anonymous said...

I like it.

Helen

Greta Koehl said...

Fabulous 'do. I also let my hair go gray, but after years of wearing long hair, decided about 8-10 years ago to cut it short.

Linda Hughes Hiser said...

I love it and you do have a little pony there. I'm also grey and get many compliments on the color.

Karen said...

Looks great, Carol! I think it's wonderful that you have done this. My 8 year old granddaughter donated to Locks of Love too. Very much appreciated by the recipients, to be sure.

my Heritage Happens said...

Such a great thing you do here!